(Washington, DC) – The Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) reminds District residents that the tax filing season for individual income tax returns begins Monday, January 23, 2017.
On that day, OTR will officially begin processing individual income tax returns filed electronically or by paper submission. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will launch the federal filing season on the same date.
OTR expects to receive and process more than 440,000 individual income tax returns this year.
OTR urges taxpayers and tax preparers to file returns electronically. E-filing is faster, helps to minimize errors, and provides filers with an electronic filing acknowledgement.
OTR offers two electronic filing methods:
- Free File: A service that allows taxpayers to choose from a number of free tax prep software options
- Fillable Form: An online version of the D-40/D-40EZ form and schedules that allows taxpayers to fill in their tax information, e-sign, and e-file their return
Tax Fraud Protection
At the 2015 Security Summit, the IRS partnered with state tax agencies and the electronic tax industry to address identity theft/tax refund fraud.
In keeping with the initiatives of the summit, OTR’s enhanced security measures to safeguard tax dollars and combat identify theft/tax refund fraud may result in longer processing times for some tax returns and associated refunds. The processing window for selected tax returns could be up to 25 days.
To date, the District’s fraud protection program has saved over $25 million.
In November 2016, OTR launched MyTax.DC.gov, an online portal created to make viewing and paying individual income and business taxes in the District simpler, faster, and safer.
- Check refund and return status 24/7
- View copies of notices sent from OTR
- Provide substantiating documents to OTR
- Grant secure third party access
- Contact e-Services for a swift response to online inquiries
- Make/schedule payments
Free Tax Preparation Assistance
Customer service specialists in OTR’s walk-in center, located at 1101 4th Street, SW, Suite W270, will prepare DC individual income tax returns at no cost.
No appointment is necessary. Please bring copies of the following:
- Completed federal tax return
- Applicable schedules
- W-2s or statements showing DC withholdings
Because April 15 falls on a Saturday and OTR will be closed on Monday, April 17 in observance of Emancipation Day, the deadline to file income tax returns for Tax Year 2016 is Tuesday, April 18, 2017.
Assistance is available from 8:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Walk-In Center: 1101 4th Street, SW, Suite W270
- Telephone Center: (202) 727-4TAX (4829)
- Email: Taxhelp@dc.gov